As the Matildas waltz on through the FIFA World Cup what better way to go waltzing in snow downunder than in the new Icebreaker Shell+ jackets the fabric of which are made 100% from jolly jumbuck fleeces.
OK, that last part we made up – maybe the came from grumpy merinos? But our tester Dave Windsor found they work great.
With unseasonably spring like conditions hitting Australia’s Alpine environs, it was time to ditch my regular cosy jacket and hit Buller with the Icebreaker Shell+™ Hooded Jacket. An icebreaker merino base and merino mid-layer kept me warm, whilst the stylish merino Shell+™ Hooded Jacket kept me dry and snug sitting on the breezy lifts. The merino hatrick worked an absolute treat in the somewhat variable winter-spring conditions.
The almost iridescent lemon colour absolutely pops. My family had no trouble spotting me through the fog off Summit, the mist through Standard or grabbing a cheeky margarita at Bull Run Cantina. And if I say so myself, I looked pretty snappy at lunch in the Woodroom at Arlberg House and a quiet après at Duck Inn.
This bad boy not only looks great, it’s also packed with function – fully seem sealed, 2-way zipper (great for when nature calls), a pair of hand pockets & chest vents, left wrist pocket for my Buller B-Tag and a couple of internal dump pockets for a neck warmer, gloves or spare goggle lens.
Remarkably, and somewhat magically, the Icebreaker Shell+™ Hooded Jacket is crafted from tightly woven 100% merino, then coated with a water repellent finish; providing perfect protection against wind and light rain. Pure quality, natural fibre and sharp lines make this a premium addition to my adventure wardrobe.
Next stop Magnetic Island Race Week, I’ll give it a whirl on board and if I go over my mates will have no problems spotting me in the Coral Sea.
Shell+™ is icebreaker’s first ever 100% natural outer layer that’s water repellent and wind resistant.
Made entirely from natural fibres that are pre-stretched, woven together, and then released to create a super dense fabric, Shell+ is a natural alternative to synthetic jackets that helps keep you protected from the elements. New styles include:
● Shell+™ Hooded Jacket – for snow activities (AU$ 899.99 / NZ$ 999.99)
● Shell+™ Pants – for snow activities (AU$ 719.99 / NZ$ 799.99)
FeaturesShell+™ – A woven fabric is coated with a water-repellent finish to keep you warm and protect you against wind and light rainPFC Free durable water repellent finish – for light rain protectionFully seam sealed3 point adjustable hood with back vent that allows it to be worn with or without a helmetArticulated seams for enhanced range of motionZippered chest vents to allow body temperature regulationCuffs with snap closure that allows two different settingsOffset shoulder seams to prevent friction2-way water resistant zipper with storm flap and zipper chin guard to prevent frictionZippered hand pocketsInternal dump pockets that fit a pair of glovesLeft arm secure pass pocketDrop tail hem for added coverage
Icebreaker Shell+™ Features
- Shell+™- A woven fabric is coated with a water-repellent finish to keep you warm and protect you against wind and light rain
- PFC Free durable water repellent finish – for light rain protection
- Fully seam sealed3 point adjustable hood with back vent that allows it to be worn with or without a helmet
- Articulated seams for enhanced range of motionZippered chest vents to allow body temperature regulation
- Cuffs with snap closure that allows two different settings
- Offset shoulder seams to prevent friction2-way water resistant zipper with storm flap and zipper chin guard to prevent friction
- Zippered hand pocketsInternal dump pockets that fit a pair of gloves
- Left arm secure pass pocket
- Drop tail hem for added coverage