Want to be a ski instructor in NZ?
Mt Ruapehu is calling out to Kiwis with a love of the outdoors and winter sport to head to the maunga for some winter fun – and offering them a job opportunity while they’re there.
With the borders still closed to international ski staff Mt Ruapehu is offering New Zealand qualification level training to help recruit staff to work on the ski slopes over the winter.
RAL CEO Jono Dean says, “Last year when COVID-19 unexpectedly hit we had to manage with 25 instructors instead of our usual 120 at Whakapapa, due to the majority of numbers being made up from international instructors.
“The lack of staff of course led to a reduced service offering on the mountain and this year we’re determined to source some more staff to continue our great service. Which means that it’s a perfect opportunity for Kiwis to come and work and enjoy a winter on the mountain at the same time.”
RAL, which operates the Mt Ruapehu ski fields, is offering a supported Apprentice Instructor Programme (AIP), which offers a registered New Zealand qualification upon successful completion and gainful employment at Whakapapa or Turoa.
“It’s a great opportunity for experienced people who can ski or snowboard and would usually head overseas for their OE to come to Mt Ruapehu instead. And the NZSIA qualification is recognised around the world so it will open doors for international travel and work opportunities once COVID allows,” Jono says.
Already 30 people have registered their interest. “Potential employees can choose which side of the mountain they work on. Successful applicants who go on to be offered a job will be paid guaranteed minimum hours, regardless of the hours worked.”
Here is the detail – open to Kiwi citizens and residents.
Apprentice Instructor Programme 2021
Do you have a passion for skiing and snowboarding?
Move your passion to become a career professional and apply to join the Apprentice Instructor Programme.
Working at Mt Ruapehu, you’ll be surrounded by like-minded people who are flexible, willing to have a crack where needed, work hard and then ski/ride even harder!
Everyone here shares a passion for the mountain and the surrounding region because of the endless possibilities for adventure. Whether it’s because you love nature, the truly unique world heritage area, or the obvious draw card of skiing/riding the volcano, there are opportunities for real fun at every turn.
- This Apprentice Instructor Programme aims to provide you with the skills and support you need to sit your Level One ski or snowboard exam.
- By combining teaching methodology, technical understanding and continued support, you will develop strong guest relationships and lesson preparedness.
- Continued training throughout the winter with recognised trainers from Turoa/Whakapapa Ski and Ride School.
- A rewarding teaching position, lasting friendship and a great experience.
- Exams are run by NZSIA from mid-June and are internationally recognised, so when we can explore the globe again these qualifications will take you where you want to go.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
- The Apprentice Programme is open to New Zealand Citizens and Residents, 16 years of age or older.
- You will need to demonstrate advanced to expert skiing or riding ability (comfortable skiing/riding anywhere on the mountain in control – the speed and freestyle/park experience are less critical factors).
- If you are wanting to get into instructing as a career you will find this programme essential.
Get on it soon if you are interested, links here